Welcome to Annerley-Stephens History Group Inc.
Our area covers that of the former Stephens Shire Council (1886-1925), an independent council which was incorporated into Brisbane City Council in 1925. The current suburbs include Yeerongpilly, Tennyson, Yeronga, Fairfield, Annerley, Tarragindi, Holland Park West, and those parts of Moorooka, Greenslopes and Mt Gravatt west of Logan Road.
We are passionate about engaging our community in our shared history
- Go to our events to see what events we have planned in the future, including talks in our local Brisbane City Council libraries.
- Go to our projects to learn about other group activities, such as local history walks, documenting the Streets of Stephens and more.
- Go to Local Heritage Places to learn more about the important heritage houses and buildings in our area.
The Annerley-Stephens History Group actively reaches out to the community on our shared history.
- About every two years, we organise and host a local history conference to highlight the research of those people connected to our local area. Details of past conferences are shown under ‘Our events’. Notices of upcoming conferences will be provided here.
- We regularly give community talks on local history, often in the Annerley, Fairfield and Holland Park Libraries. Details on past talks are shown under ‘Out events’. Information on upcoming talks can be obtained by subscribing to our email newsletters or be following our Facebook page at Annerley-Stephens History Group Inc | Facebook
Please use the Contact section below to be added to our email newsletters.
Women of Stephens
This book is a compilation of the papers delivered at the 16 October 2021 local history conference. It celebrates the lives and stories of women from all walks of life who contributed to the rich tapestry of the southside of Brisbane.
Stories of Stephens
The Stories of Stephens is the collection of papers delivered at the Annerley-Stephens History Group 2016 local history conference, and related material.
Stephens and War
The papers delivered at the 26 October 2019 conference are collected in this book. An exploration of wartime and its legacy from a local perspective, it is a revealing chronicle of the people, streets and parklands of Stephens Shire.
Annals of Annerley
This publication is the proceedings of the 17 July 1994 Annerley Conference, edited by John Douglas Kerr. It represents the history of Annerley from its beginnings as farmland owned by T.S. Stephens to an important inner-city suburb of Brisbane.
Echoes of Stories of Stephens
Echoes of Stories of Stephens compiled by Stephen W Sheaffe AM contains 18 more vibrant chapters exploring our local history from the Annerley-Stephens History Group local history conference of February 2019.
All of our publications cost $25 except for Annals of Annerley, which is $15. They can be purchased from our friend and keen local historian Paul the Butcher at Annerley Meats, 502 Ipswich Rd, Annerley.
If you would like the books posted out to you, or want to ask any questions about ASHG activities, please use the contact form below.