The Annerley History Group was founded on 02 May 2013 to promote an interest in the history of the Annerley Community. The name and the geographic area were expanded in 2014, to incorporate and reflect the interests of members. Our area covers the former Stephens Shire Council (1886-1925) which was incorporated into the Brisbane City Council in 1925. Suburbs include Yeerongpilly, Tennyson, Yeronga, Fairfield, Annerley, Tarragindi, Holland Park West, parts of Moorooka, Greenslopes and Mt Gravatt.
The major boundaries of Stephens Shire are Cornwall Street to the north, Logan Road to the east and the Brisbane River to the west. The southern boundary is Shire Road through to Mayfield Street, down Beaudesert Road to Hamilton Road and then following the Moolabin Creek to Oxley Creek into the Brisbane River to the west.
The objectives of the Annerley-Stephens History Group are:
- To research the history of the geographical area and the communities and people covered by the former Shire of Stephens and to make the information available to its members, other associations and the general public in electronic or printed form.
- Seek community involvement in all major projects.
- Raise awareness of local history within the broader community by publicity, functions and publications and seek to demonstrate to people of all ages that local history can be interesting and engaging.
The ASHG is affiliated with:
- The Royal Historical Society of Queensland – the peak history body in Queensland
- Brisbane’s Living Heritage – a network of over 90 heritage and history groups in the Brisbane area.
Meet the team
ASHG Executive 2023
Mail: PO Box 484, Annerley QLD 4103
6.30pm, first Monday of each month at the Stephens Croquet Club via Frederick Street off Villa Street, Yeronga. Please email us for further information.
Become a member
We look forward to meeting you at our next ASHG meeting and hearing about your interests in local history.
Membership costs $10 per year. You can either pay in person in cash, or online via direct deposit
BSB 034-033 Acc/No: 309907 (first and surname as reference)