Streets of Stephens
Commencing in 2021, the Annerley-Stephens History Group is progressively documenting the history of the streets in the local area.
Streets of Stephens histories already published
Reports on the following streets and places have been completed and can be downloaded for your reference:
- Colebrook Avenue, Moorooka
- Fanny Street Park, Annerley
- Fingal Street, Tarragindi
- Hefferan Park, Annerley Road, Annerley
- Lothian Street, Annerley
- Mildmay (Lang) Street, Fairfield
- Robinson Park, Fairfield Road, Fairfield
- Whittle Street, Moorooka
- Yeronga Bowls Club, 171 School Rd, Yeronga
In addition, Daniel and Patricia Joynes have written a book on The Development of Rose Avenue / Ellesmere Street, Yeronga. ASHG owns one copy of the book. Email us if you are interested in reading it. Alternatively, the book can be read at the State Library of Queensland.
We would love to hear the history of your street
The Annerley-Stephens History Group focuses on the suburbs of Annerley, Fairfield, Yeronga, Yeerongpilly, Moorooka, Tarragindi, Tennyson, and those parts of Greenslopes, Holland Park West and Mt Gravatt west of Logan Road. This is the former Stephens Shire.
We want to collect street histories from these areas!
You can help us by researching and writing about your street, and then making a short presentation on this information at a local library or at one of our monthly meetings. Some questions to get you started are:
- Has the street name any significance?
- Has the street always had the same name?
- How has the street changed over time?
- What is the oldest house or significant place in the street?
- Who has lived in the street – one or more interesting characters?
The local history doesn’t have to focus exclusively on streets, as other noteworthy locations can be explored as well.
Our members can assist you with preparing your presentation and then liaise with you in publishing your history on this website.
Email: [email protected]
To share this information, please download the flyer.