The Annerley Uniting Church, designed by Brisbane architects Atkinson and Conrad, was opened on 28 June 1925 as the Cracknell Road Congregational Church. The Congregational Church has a long association with the Annerley community that dates back to the 1890s when Sunday school classes were first held in the homes of the Grimes and Wilson families. This local landmark is an intact example of a small, Interwar Gothic style timber church.
- a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City’s or local area’s historyas evidence of the long history of Congregational worship and education in Annerley and the development of the area during the interwar period.
- d) It is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class or classes of cultural placesas an intact example of a small, Interwar Carpenter Gothic church.
- e) It is important because of its aesthetic significanceas an architect-designed Interwar Carpenter Gothic church situated prominently on Cracknell Road.
- g) It has a strong or special association with the life or work of a particular community or cultural group for social, cultural or spiritual reasonshaving provided a place of worship for Annerley’s Congregational community, and subsequent Uniting church community, since 1925.
- h) It has a special association with the life or work of a particular person, group or organisation of importance in the City’s or local area’s historyas a church designed by notable architects Atkinson and Conrad.
|Other names:||Cracknell Road Congregational Church|
|Address:||At 29 Cracknell Road , ANNERLEY, 4103|
|Categories:||Ritual – Worship|
|Event(s):||Constructed in 1925|
|Style(s):||Interwar – Carpenter Gothic|
|Fabric component(s):||Walls – Timber|
Roof – Ribbed metal
|People involved:||Architect – Atkinson and Conrad|
Please leave a comment below if you would like to share something about Annerley Uniting Church.